Saturday, November 9, 2013

Natural Yeast Bread




This homemade wheat bread is the best I've ever tasted.  The crumbling bricks that I used to make are a thing of the past.  This is my favorite way to make soft, delicious, melt-in-your mouth bread that everyone in the family adores.  Watch Melissa make it here.  Learn more about why I think its healthier by ordering her recipe book.  It that gives great detail about the health benefits and history of commercial yeast.  Check it out here

(This recipe is doubled from hers, because I make four loaves in my Bosch Mixer.  I also use a little red wheat in my recipe as well.) 

Natural Yeast Bread

5 c. lukewarm water
1 c. start
½ c. honey
2 T. coconut oil
4 t. salt
2 c. red wheat flour
8 c. white wheat flour

Mix on Speed 1 until dough cleans the sides of bowl.
(may add 1-2 cups more white wheat if needed)

1- Knead on Speed 2 for 10 minutes.  Place in large greased bowl (I use coconut or olive oil for this). 

2- Rise 6 hours. 

3- Divide in 4 pieces.  Oil Pans.  Shape loaves and place in pans.

4- Rise 1-2 hours (or until double in size).  

5-Bake 37 minutes at 375 degrees.

6- Cool 10-15 minutes.  Plop loaves onto cooling racks.

7- Cool completely.

I bag the loaves and cut them in slices the following day.  (Whatever is left that is.)

Leftovers are put in the freezer and can easily be pulled out for the toaster, individual pizzas, Italian bread, french toast or sandwiches.